More than a year ago, I shared our then newly assembled Rockstor server in this article. It proved to be a solid part of our production infrastructure. In the last year, I’ve also helped users with a few different DIY builds. It’s a collaborative effort with active members in the community plus the usual shameless thievery from the internet. But we have a winning build that is great for smaller organizations and prosumers. It is a quiet 8 Bay tower packing high performance and supports large storage capacity with up to 12 HDDs.
- 60 day e-mail support from Rockstor engineers included. ($200.00 value)
- 5 year subscription to Stable updates included. ($35.00 value)
- 50% discount on incident-based support bundles for 1 year. (up to $450.00 value)
DIY projects are fun and we like to provide all the necessary information in one place if you choose to build it yourself. These are the parts you need for this specific build.
- SilverStone DS380B Case.
- SS-350SFE PSU.
- Asrock MB C2550D4I Motherboard and CPU combo.
- Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3LDIMM RAM.
- 32GB PCIe mSATA boot drive for the Rockstor OS.
While the motherboard can be upgraded to C2750D4I and extra RAM can be added for better performance, it’s not really necessary as Rockstor is considerably less resource hungry compared to other options out there.
Whether you build your own or buy the Rockstor Pro 8 from us, you get the following key benefits that make this box an effective workhorse and a much better value for money than proprietary solutions out there.
- Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor. Can be upgraded to C2750
- 8GB RAM (64GB max).
- 32GB SSD boot drive for Rockstor OS.
- Simple and secure browser based management.
- Supports up to 8 hot-pluggable 3.5″ HDDs and 4 fixed internal (2.5″) HDDs.
- Bitrot protection, checksums, compression and other advanced filesystem (BTRFS) features.
- Efficient (CoW) Snapshots of Shares on demand or on schedule.
- Supports different size HDDs and online capacity scaling. Add more drives as and when you need them.
- File sharing and access from Linux, Mac, Windows and mobile devices (Android and iOS).
- Must have prosumer apps for Media streaming, backup and file synchronization.
- Apps for developers and small businesses including JenkinsCI, Gitlab, Discourse and more.
- Privacy and Productivity enhancing apps for everybody
- Efficient Rockstor -> Rockstor replication for backup and DR.
More info on the build with pictures!